As technology rapidly improves quality access to services, Crisis response and intervention has been a focal point for digital transformation. With the launch of the 988 Crisis Initiative, there’s been a significant step towards improving quality access to mental health care for those in crisis. As such, technology providers like Chorus play a pivotal role in enhancing related behavioral health workflows.
What is the 988 Crisis Initiative?
The 988 Crisis initiative is a national effort to transform mental health crisis response. Signed into law in 2020, the new ‘988’ number improves access to mental health crisis services.
The 988 Crisis Initiative seeks to:
- Improve Access: 988 provides a shorter, more intuitive route to accessing care. With the 3-digit crisis hotline number (‘988’), individuals can more directly seek assistance during a mental health crisis.
- Reduce Stigma: With the integration of ‘988’ into the national emergency system as a three digit assistance line similar to ‘911,’ the initiative reduces the stigma associated with seeking mental health assistance.
- Enhance Crisis Response: 988 provides more immediate assistance for those in crisis. This includes direct access to mental health professionals or crisis counselors.
- Standardize Services: 988 promotes uniformity in crisis response across the country, ensuring access to care is more equitable, regardless of location.
How technology fits in to supporting 988?
Simply put, the behavioral health workforce is already burdened, and faces acute worker shortages. Technology can boost workflow efficiencies, promote inter-team collaboration, and extend capacity for both agency and mobile response teams.
Chorus takes a unique approach to crisis response. We provide off-the-shelf modules that are ready to deploy at your organization today, without compromising your ability to configure for the rapidly changing future.
Key workflows Chorus can support include:
- Case & Client Management: Beyond the Electronic Health Record, crisis specific workflows require case & client management of an individual across the care journey. Chorus provides a configurable approach to client management, notifications, scheduling, and care coordination.
- Real-Time Crisis Team Coordination: Too often providers in the field and agency dispatch teams miss out on efficiencies that can be gained by technology. Our case and client status board integrates with mobile team dispatch applications to provide real-time updates. The improved coordination helps ensure a timely response.
- Data Analytics: Chorus-powered reporting has the customized functionality you need to drive your quality initiatives. Our fully-configurable tools help your teams more effectively measure response quality, identify service gaps and insights, and help with broader program evaluation.
- Referrals & Linkages: A common challenge is wasted provider time in locating resource availability. Chorus provides real-time resource availability, simplifying the referral process and increasing timely access to care. The coordination burden on your staff is lessened, while your clients benefit from more timely access to the care they need.
Chorus solves for the most frequent 988 technology implementation challenges
The 988 Crisis Initiative is a powerful step forward in making mental health crisis support more accessible, and reducing the stigma associated with seeking support.
While there are still numerous challenges to implementation, technology providers like Chorus that can rapidly adapt to diverse workflow needs can streamline the process of development and implementation.
In addition, technologies that can be easily integrated with your existing organizational tools reduce the burden on your staff.
Let’s get connected!
To learn more about how Chorus can support your organization’s 988 workflow needs, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org